Upon receiving a written complaint about potential misconduct, the Commissioner’s office will:
- acknowledge in writing the receipt of the complaint
- assess the complaint, consider the facts, and determine its merit
- where appropriate, seek to conciliate the dispute between the client and the lawyer
- if conciliation isn't appropriate or if there is no conciliated outcome, then further investigate the alleged misconduct
- make a determination as to whether or not there is misconduct; and
- if there is, then take the appropriate disciplinary action.
The complaint process for misconduct
Download as a PDF here.
At any stage of the process a complaint can be closed for various reasons, including if the Commisioner determines that: